- - ABC-INDEX - -

5/02/2012

Owari Four Kannon Temples

[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::  

  



Owari shi Kannon 尾張四観音
The Four Kannon Temples of Owari


They were erected in the auspicious directions to protect the castle on Nagoya from evil influence.


source : hitodegoya.blog55.fc2.com

You visit the one of the auspicious direction of the year, and then continue as shown in the illustration above.


Deity of the auspicious direction (ehoo 恵方)
. God of the year, toshigami 年神(としがみ) .


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


愛知県名古屋市中川区荒子町の
荒子観音 Arako Kannon

quote
Arako Kannon is one of the four major Kannon temples in the Owari region. This is a temple of the Tendai sect of Buddhism named Kannonji. It is famous for about 1200 Buddhist statues made by Enku in the site. It was established in 729 and repaired in 1576 by the lord of Kaga, Maeda Toshiie. Its tahoto pagoda was repaired in 1536. The pagoda is the oldest wooden building in Nagoya and is registered as a cultural asset of national importance.
source : www.ncvb.or.jp



quote
It was established by a monk, Taichou-Taishi. in 729.
The main temple had destroyed by a fire many times and rebuilt again of each time.
The latest fire broke out in 1994 and rebuilt 1997.
But the two story pagoda called Tahouto has been kept since the last construction in 1536.
This is the oldest wooden structure in Nagoya City.


In Arako Kannon, they have approximately 1240 images of Budda carved by Enkuu (1632-1696).
We can view them in the afternoon of the 2nd Saturday every month.
Enkuu is a very famous monk who traveled to many places in Japan, from Hokkaido to Shikoku and Kyushu, and carved so many images of Buddha so called Enku-butsu.
He was close to the 10th monk of Arako-Kannon, Ensei.
Maybe, that is why he left such a large number of the images of Buddha there.

138 Miyamado, Arako-cho, Nakagawa-ku, Nagoya
source : kikuko.web.infoseek.co.jp




quote
by James F. Goater, 2009
Nagoya's oldest building: Arako Kannon
When the famed Buddhist monk, and compulsive wood-carver, Enku ,took up residence at the Arako Kannon temple (Kannonji, in today’s Nakagawa Ward) in 1676, this venerable temple was already over 900 years old, having been established in the early Heian period of the 8th century. Housing one of the region’s most important Kannon (Goddess of Mercy) statues, Arako Kannon has retained its pre-eminence in the district to the present day.

Of additional interest is the fact that of the various structures on-site when Enku arrived, one is still in existence. The two-tiered Tahoto (treasure) Pagoda had already been standing for 140 years in 1676, and it is still there in 2008 – a Muromachi Period building designated as a national cultural asset, and by far the city’s oldest structure.

Records indicate that, in 1536, the pagoda was rebuilt by local carpenters, partially from materials from an earlier structure on the same site. Despite the periodic fires which have devastated most temples at one time or another during their histories – as recently as 1994 the main temple building of Kannonji was destroyed by fire – the Tahoto Pagoda has so far remained safe from this scourge for 472 years!

During his residence in the temple, Enku completed around one thousand wooden figures, ranging in size from a few centimeters to the huge 3 meter figures which act as temple guardians, situated in the temple’s main gate. Most of these figures, however, were lost to history from the time immediately after Enku’s departure. Amazingly, it was 300 years before they were found – nestling in carefully-packed boxes, covered in dust, located in a recess within the Tahoto Pagoda. In 1972, Arako Kannon’s then chief priest opened these ancient boxes and made the discovery. A museum was set up within the temple precincts soon after, containing 1,255 wooden figures. It is worth a visit, as is the oldest building in Nagoya nearby.
source : www.centraljapan.jp




. Enku, the Master Carver 円空 (Enkuu) .
[1632?~1695]


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


愛知県あま市甚目寺の
甚目寺観音 Jimokuji Kannon

quote
Chizan Sect of Shingon School
Established in A.D. 597



Jimoku-ji means Jimoku Temple and Kannon is a Goddess of Mercy.
In the Asuka period (552-710), A fisherman called Tatsumaro, who lived in Jimoku Villege,
found a golden image of Kannon (Goddess of Mercy) in his fishing net at 200m-southeast from the present temple.
Then he built a thatched roof hut and enshrined it in 597.
This is the beginning of this temple.
Then Jimokoji Kannon is the foremost oldest temple following with
Hoko-ji or Asuka-dera or Gango-ji (A.D.592) and Shitenno-ji (A.D.593).
We can view he image of Kannon once in every 50 years.
The last exhibition was held on Nov.18 to 25 in 2001.

24 Aza Higashi-Monzen, Oaza Jimokuji, Jimokuji-cho, Ama-gun

source : kikuko.web.infoseek.co.jp


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


愛知県名古屋市守山区龍泉寺の
龍泉寺観音 Ryusenji Kannon

Ryuusenji 龍泉寺 Ryusen-Ji "Dragon Fountain Temple"



松洞山大行院
Tendai sect
The main deity is Bato-Kannon, the Horse-Headed Kannon.
1-902 Ryusenji, Moriyama-ku, Nagoya C.

Legend knows that this temple had been built by the Dragon Deity in just one night.
When priest Dengyo Daishi visited here on his way to the shrine Atsuta Jingu, he had a vision. When he recited sutras at the Tatara pond 多々羅池, the Dragon Deity appeared and made its way to heaven, and the statue of a horse-headed Kannon appeared, now the main deity at this temple.

The temple is located on a hill overlooking the river Shonaigawa 庄内川 and has a wonderful look down on the Nobi plain 濃尾平野.

source : www.ryusenji.com/



Ryuusenji no kubi uma 竜泉寺首馬
horse head from temple Ryusen-Ji

kushiuma, kushi uma 串馬
. takeuma, take uma 竹馬 "bamboo horse" stilts .

usually a pair in red and white. A papermachee head is placed on a bamboo stick.



The white horse wards off evil at a ceremony of the imperial court 白馬節会 (Aouma no sechi-e) and this is a local reminder.
It is made from paper (hariko) and as a pun HARI is read as HARU, harukoma 春駒 horse of spring.
In former times horses were of utmost importance to the people.
Now people buy this horse at the New Year for good luck.

. Aichi Folk Art - 愛知県 .


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ryuufukuji 真言宗天林山笠覆寺 Ryufuku-Ji, short "Kasadera"
Ryuufukuji 笠覆寺観音 Ryufukuji Kannon
Kasadera Kannon 笠寺観音 "Kannon at the Rain Hat Temple"
愛知県名古屋市南区笠寺町の


quote
Ryufuku-ji temple
Shingon sect, founded by priest Zenko.



In January 1814, a statue of Juichimen-Kannon (Eleven-faced Goddess of Mercy)
was found from the ground of Kasadera-Kannon precincts. It became a big news and people came to pray or just to have a look at it. It was a kind of turmoil and the temple had been crowded day after day like festivals.

There is also a famous statue of Fudo Myo-O 不動明王 venerated.
Fudo Market Fair is held on the 18th and 28th each month.

With more old illustrations
source : kikuko.web.infoseek.co.jp

This temple is dedicated to the memory of the beautiful Princess Tamateru Hime 玉照姫, who had been taken by a rich man from Narumi and lived in great misfortune.
Day and night she prayed to a stone statue Kannon. One day with a heavy rainfall, she put her own straw rain hat on the statue to protect her.
By chance Fujiwara no Kanehira 藤原兼平  (875 - 935), came by on this day and saw her.
Her luck changed and she married Kanehira, still praying to the Kannon statue with the straw hat.
Thus she could begin to rebuild the temple.

Now there are amulets in memory of this finding a good partner (enmusubi 縁結び).



縁結び御守り



source : omamorida.com


Matsuo Basho was impressed by the story of this temple and offered this hokku as a greeting:

笠寺や漏らぬ岩屋も春の雨 
Kasa-dera ya moranu iwaya mo haru no ame

temple Kasadera !
even at the watertight grotto
the rain of spring


Written in the spring of 1687 貞亨4年春




Visiting temples with
. Matsuo Basho 松尾芭蕉 - Archives of the WKD .



:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 


There is also a
pilgrimage to 33 Kannon temples in Owari



source : www.asahi-net.or.jp


The Owari Thirty-three Kannon
(尾張三十三観音 Owari Sanjuusan Kannon)

are a collection of Buddhist temples in western Aichi Prefecture, Japan, all dedicated to the bodhisattva Avalokitesvara. The name is derived from Owari Province, the former name for the area.
The list was created in 1955.

Find the temple names here
© More in the WIKIPEDIA !




. Kannon Bosatsu 観音菩薩 - INFO .






:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 

. Regional Folk Toys from Japan .


. Tohoku after the BIG earthquake March 11, 2011

[ . BACK to WORLDKIGO . TOP . ]
[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

No comments: